A Better Birth For Baby And Mom
Ray of Light Chiropractic specializes in taking care of the health and unique needs of expectant mothers. Dr. Laura V. Godfrey, who is certified to care for prenatal patients by the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA), has earned over 200 post graduate hours specializing in prenatal and pediatric care. She has been certified in the Webster Technique since 2003, and is one of a select few practitioners on the North Shore who has held that distinction for over 14 years. Her goal is for every mom and baby on the North Shore to have the best possible pregnancy and birth experience with the help of chiropractic care. Chiropractic care benefits all aspects of the body and its ability to function healthily. This is accomplished by working with the nervous system –the communication system between your brain and body. Dr. Laura will work to correct spinal, pelvic and cranial misalignments (subluxations) using chiropractic adjustments that are gentle and safe for both mother and baby. This will result in a nervous system that is free of interference which will allow the body the ability to function optimally throughout pregnancy and beyond.
“The healthier the mom is, the better opportunity that child is going to have.”
Seeking chiropractic care while preparing for pregnancy, and especially during pregnancy, is one of the best things you can do for your body and your unborn child. Being under care can offset many of the common pregnancy issues, including nausea and morning sickness, neck, mid back, and lower back pain, headaches, pelvic pain caused by stretching of the pubic symphysis, and constipation or other digestive upsets. Other potential benefits of chiropractic include mood improvements, safer labor and delivery, and overall maintenance of a healthy pregnancy from start to finish.
Chiropractic care provides a safe and effective way for pregnant mothers to maintain a pain-free, flexible and balanced spine, hips, and pelvis; which allow the reproductive organs to function optimally. All of these factors are essential for a healthy pregnancy, labor and delivery. Our adjusting tables have special modifications and we use special pregnancy pillows that will allow you to lie face down comfortably and are able to accommodate our pregnant mothers’ growing bellies.
As a practicing chiropractor with over 17 years of experience, Dr. Laura can offer her prenatal patients plenty of guidance on topics such as proper nutrition and the benefits of natural childbirth, as well as how to find local birth educators, doulas and midwives. She also has plenty of information to share with new mothers about local la leche leagues and mom groups.
TOP 5 REASONS YOU SHOULD SEE A CHIROPRACTOR DURING PREGNANCY
1. Gentle, drug free relief of aches and pains. Common complaints include low back pain, headaches, buttock pain, pubic symphysis dysfunction, leg cramps, upper back pain, round ligament pain, wrist pain, hip pain, etc…
2. To prepare your pelvis for childbirth. By balancing the pelvis and getting it functioning properly, birth can be easier, safer, and faster.
3. To help your baby get in an ideal position for birth. Breech babies, occiput posterior babies, transverse babies, and more, chiropractic care helps get baby in the best position for birth by balancing and reducing tension in your pelvis.
4. To relax. Pregnancy can be stressful on the mind and the body. With pregnancy pillows, most women can lie face down comfortably on the chiropractic table throughout their pregnancy. Treatments are comfortable, relaxing, and soothing.
5. Another perspective on your prenatal care. Your midwife or OB is your primary care provider, but a chiropractor can offer additional advice on pain management, exercise, diet, prenatal vitamins, sleep, and stress management. Chiropractors also serve as a gateway to numerous other perinatal resources such as doulas, acupuncturists, lactation consultants, prenatal yoga classes, mental health care providers, and more.
Call (978) 887-9889 today for an appointment and to discover how Dr. Laura can help you in the areas of prenatal and pediatrics. And from all of us here at the office, we wish you good luck and good health during your pregnancy.